Friday, February 26, 2010

Why I Choose to Believe

I am often a doubter... but I don't think my doubting has ever caused me not to have faith -- to at least belief in the existence of God.  We probably all would like to have the opportunity St Thomas had to check out the body of the resurrected Jesus by putting our finger in his side.  All Thomas needed was the offer from Jesus to which he responded by saying, "My Lord and my God!"

After all, some of my best friends and relatives are chronic doubters.  We lovingly put up with one another and I still call them friends.  Nevertheless, I got to thinking this week about the subject of belief.  What is it essentially (and minimally) I believe? 

Now I could take refuge in reciting to you the Apostles' or Nicene Creed, but that would be too easy; recitation is not belief -- even though we say we believe.  So in a minute or two (or I should say, a few hundred words?) what is it I want to say about my belief?

Well, probably something about God, Jesus, the Bible, telling others, and the Holy Spirit...

God.  Within this absolutely magnificent, wondrous, breath-taking, stunning (and sometimes numbing) cosmos, I sense God's presence.  God is the Creator and I am God's creation; a creation in which I am, literally, "God-imprinted."  And each day, the wonder of all this never ceases to amaze me.

Jesus. St Paul said that in Jesus the "fullness of God was pleased to dwell."  When I think about Jesus I see the mighty Creator of the cosmos in flesh and bones and pleased to be here. I  believe I was created to please God and the best way to do that is to try to be more like the God-image Jesus.  Now it is true that I often fail to be like Jesus.  And when it happens I also know that it is because of my tendency to be self-centered (sinful) which breaks my relationship with others as well as with God. 

But there's hope... my stumbling and failing to be more Jesus-like enables me to appreciate what I believe to be God's nature.  If I choose to get up and try again, God is always with me.  Through my stumbling, I have come to see that God is love, kind, compassionate, forgiving, and hopeful with regard to my future.  My belief enables me to see God's action in the world today all around me.  For example, I see it through the many "Saints of God," known and unknown, who have God's light shining in them and projecting out into the world. They amaze, encourage, and humble me.

The Bible.  I value what others through history have said about God in my faith's Holy Scriptures.  I believe the Bible does contain all things necessary for my salvation.  This "Word of God" consists of accounts which have been handed down to me by those who have directly experienced God.  But God's Word is more than the Bible -- it is also Jesus.

Telling others.  I have seen and been the recipient of the benefits of belief in my own life and the lives of those around me.  This causes me to try to practice being a disciple of Jesus and telling others about him.  Belief helps me to get through times of trouble, loss, and my belief helped me come to value the importance of helping, sharing, forgiving, and being forgiven.  It has given meaning and harmony to my life.

While some may disagree, my belief has helped me grow as a person.  I freely admit I am not perfect, far from it, and I am not a Saint, but, nevertheless, I believe I am, day by day, becoming a better person because of my belief -- and I am deeply thankful. 

Because I was baptized and raised as a Christian, following Jesus is my path.  As an Anglican, I love my tradition's ability to listen, accept, and be open to others.  I love the mystery of the Mass and other sacramental rites such as reconciliation and healing.  They empower me and give me strength and, hopefully, wisdom and understanding.

The Holy Spirit.  One of the most difficult things to talk about is the daily presence of God's Holy Spirit in my life.  Perhaps the book, "The Shack" came closest for me in describing the ephemeral Third Person of God's household.  Through the Spirit, God is always with me -- an ever-present help in times of trouble -- and celebration!  I believe what Jesus said about the Spirit, that when he left his Spirit would come to help me live.

But, all in all, belief really means nothing does it?  Rather it is the action, the acts, that flows from one's belief that really matters -- where, as they say, the "rubber hits the road!"

I can talk about belief all day but if I do not love people I am, as St Paul noted, a "resounding gong -- a clanging cymbal."  I must also add that this love pertains to all humankind -- whether they are a Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim or non-believer.  Each one of us is part of God's creation and imprinted with God's image -- we are really all one as God is one.

No comments:

Post a Comment