Monday, December 21, 2009

I Believe, Help My Unbelief!

Sometimes it’s good to do a spiritual check-up.

One way I do it is from time to time I write down just exactly what it is I believe about my faith.

While organized religion would like to pound us into little “faith molds” most of us never quite fit. In fact, our belief varies from time to time, from experience to experience, and we are more like the father of the boy with an evil spirit in Mark 9 who told Jesus, “I do believe -- help me overcome my unbelief!”

So, here’s what I believe today… so far… maybe it will spur you into thinking about, and writing down, what you believe today?

I Believe

there is one God,
a God who is creator, lover,
and justice-seeker.
a God of whom we are
imprints.
a God who yearns for us
to be sought and known.
yet a God who will always
be a holy mystery.
a God who came to us
in the person of
Jesus.
to experience and live
among us.
God showed us
how to live.
but in we unjustly
killed him.
yet he rose from the
dead
as he promised
went back to a holy family
of Creator, Christ, and
Sanctifier
who’s Spirit is here
among us
won’t go away
waiting to be
birthed in us
to live God-lives
with integrity
now
and in
an existence
yet to come.


As we approach Christmas and Epiphany (the birth of the Light and the celebration of the giving of the Light to the world) let us be strong advocates for justice and peace in our selves, our families, and in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment