Thursday, January 7, 2010

Celtic Christians

Some of you know that I am a big fan of Krista Tippett who has a weekly broadcast on American Public Radio called “Speaking of Faith.” Early Sunday mornings, Sabine and I used to listen to her program on the way to serve at St Peter’s in North Lake. Unfortunately, Krista’s program is not broadcast in the Madison area; however, you can still hear her at http://www.speakingoffaith.org/.)

During one of her recent programs, she replayed an interview she had with the late Irish poet. John O’Donohue, who unexpectedly died in early 2008. You can hear it at http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/johnodonahue/. This interview is worth your time and will, no doubt, cause you to do some deep reflecting as I did.

One part of the interview deeply moved me when O’Donohue, in his deep accent, read the opening line from his book, Anam Cara:

“It’s strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you. Behind your image, below your words, above your thoughts, the silence of another world waits. A world lives within you.”

Whew! The majesty and mystery of the spiritual world around hovering us is something the Celtic tradition has given us. I am reminded of Celtic prayers for gardening, milking cows, and doing all kinds of chores. I know this tradition has moved me as I recall that I used to end my celelbration of the Mass with prayers like these:

Bless to me, O God, the earth beneath my feet.
Bless to me, O God, the path on which I go.
Bless to me, O God, the people whom I meet.
O God of all gods, bless to me my life.

Bless to me, O God, my soul that comes from on high.
Bless to me, O God, my body that is of earth.
Bless to me, O God, each thing my eye sees, each sound my ear hears.
Bless to me, O God, each scent that goes to my nostrils,

each taste that goes to my lips,
each ray that guides my way

O Christ, there is no plant in the ground
but it is full of your virtue.
There is no form in the strand
but it is full of your blessing.

There is no life in the sea,
there is no creature in the ocean,
there is nothing in the heavens
but proclaims your goodness.

There is no bird on the wing,
there is no star in the sky,
there is nothing beneath the sun
but proclaims your goodness.


George Hunter has written an excellent book on this traditiion, The Celtic Way of Evangelism: How Christianity Can Reach the West… Again. Hunter describes the work of early Christians evangelizing the Celtic people of the British Isles in the late 4th century and incorporating many of their ancient spiritual practices into Christianity.

Celts had a very unique and particular way of spreading the message of Jesus. Contrary to much of Christian evangelistic practices today, the Celts believed that belonging comes before believing. The Celts invited seekers come and belong; to participate in their community. In time, they would come to believe. There was no “belief test” before they could belong to the community. The Celts had confidence that the Christian faith is more caught than taught!

Why would a person want to join these Celts? Because the Celts practiced an absolutely radical form of love and hospitality. They were known for setting up monasteries where the social problems were and not away from them. They focused on working with those whom others would not wish to associate.

I once heard a theologian say that he has ceased talking about God. Instead, all he is interested in now is where people experience God. Because where people experience God is where God is, and, he says, there is nothing more he can say or add.

The Celts knew this 1500 years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment