Monday, January 10, 2011

Being You, Seeking Light

I ran into a great story to begin the new year and to think about our spiritual growth in the coming months:

I am about to face the Holy One, blessed be He, and justify my sojourn on the world. If He will ask me: Zussye, why were you not like Moses? I shall respond, because you did not grant me the powers you granted Moses. If He will ask me: Zusye, why were you not like Rabbi Akiba? I shall respond because you did not grant me the powers you granted Rabbi Akiba. But the Almighty will not ask me why I was not like Moses or why I was not like Rabbi Akiba. The Almighty will ask me: Zussye, why were you not like Zussye? Why did you not fulfill the potential which was Zussye, and it is for this question that I tremble. (Rav Zussye)

So, why aren't we ourselves?

Last week was the Epiphany and the first reading for that day comes from Isaiah 60:1-2:

Arise, shine, for your light has come,

and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.
See, darkness covers the earth
and thick darkness is over the peoples,
but the LORD rises upon you
and his glory appears over you.

It really is all about LIGHT isn't it?  Being light.  If we wallow in darkness and hang around with those who live in darkeness, so shall we be. This past Sunday, I asked my parishioners, "Who is the light in your life?"  How do you answer this question?  Who is the person(s) who have brought light and direction into your life, who have helped you grow as a decent, spiritual, God-fearing person? (You can pause here and think about this question...)

Nevertheless, if we have no such "light-person," then we should be called to SEEK out those who shine light into the world.  You know them when you see them.  Along this line, I am reminded of a book of poetry by Elizabeth Alexander with the captivating title: CRAVE RADIANCE.

Isn't that what we all should be doing -- absolutely CRAVING radiance?  Alexander's poem, "Praise Song for the Day" was read at President Obama's inauguration.  This is the ending (or beginning):

Some live by love thy neighbor as thyself,

others by first do no harm or take no more
than you need. What if the mightiest word is love?

Love beyond marital, filial, national,
love that casts a widening pool of light,
love with no need to pre-empt grievance.

In today's sharp sparkle, this winter air,
any thing can be made, any sentence begun.
On the brink, on the brim, on the cusp,

praise song for walking forward in that light.

Amen.  A praise song for walking forward in and into that LIGHT!  Let's roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment