Monday, May 24, 2010

Another "One Year to Live" Retreat

How could it possibly be that each OYTL Men’s Retreat ("One Year To Live") I have attended gets better and better?

One reason might be that it fell on the Feast of Pentecost this past weekend and God’s Holy Spirit fell mightily on all of us!

Or that we had men throughout the country who have attended OYTL retreats serving as “prayer warriors” – praying a number of times each day the retreat was in session.

Or maybe it was because we had broke the "denominational barrier" with a significant number of men attending who were not Lutherans!

But whatever it was, IT WAS!  And what WAS was powerful!

No man who opened his heart to this weekend could walk away from it doubting his faith or the power of God to transform a man’s life!

Throughout the weekend, the gifts of the Spirit were truly, visibly, and audibly present: “The utterance of wisdom… and (words of) knowledge… faith… gifts of healing…working of miracles…prophecy… discernment… various kinds of tongues…” and, undeniably, the greatest of all gifts of the Spirit – LOVE – lovingkindness pouring out upon us and the overwhelming sense and full understanding of God’s love for each and every one of us! (1Cor 12).

While I cannot disclose the specific nature of this retreat because it would take away from the experience, I can talk about what happened (again) to me. By going on retreat I get away from the frantic nature and “busyness” of my daily life and have a chance to slow down… reflect on my life… how's it working for me?  and what I need to do to make mid-course corrections.  Then by opening my heart, getting away from "competition and comparing" and letting God speak to me in his various ways my life is changed for the better (maybe slowly, but increasingly better).

Through these retreats, I have come to understand God's mission for me in this life and that I am a “work in progress” -- not a perfect work, but a seeking-to-improve work.  I have also been shown that I need to be more active in helping other men improve their lives and that is why the OYTL retreats have been so moving for me.
Here is my present Mission developed (again) at the retreat this past weekend:

I AM David, my name in Hebrew means “Beloved of God.”
I am a man, loving husband of Sabine, father, grandfather, brother and friend.


I EXIST to SERVE God with integrity as a DISCIPLE of Jesus Christ.


I DO THIS BY:


       Being a SERVANT LEADER.


       Working for JUSTICE, PEACE and LOVE in my sphere of influence.


       Seeking the face of Jesus in every person I know and meet.


       Not tolerating "bullshit" or passivity.

The next men’s “One Year to Live” retreat will be held again at the MacKenzie Center near Poynette, Wisconsin. The dates are September 17-19, 2010. God-willing, I will be there as a member of the staff team.

If you know me – and trust me – you will hear what I am saying and sign up for this retreat.  It will give you the opportunity to change your life for the better – this I guarantee!

Hope to see you in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment