Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spirituality of Denominations

Being an Episcopalian (Anglican) is not an easy task today. Anglicans from the Global South (most of Asia and Africa) are at odds with most of us in the North and West of this long-standing global communion which headquarters rest in Canterbury in the United Kingdom. I am often asked why I am Anglican and not some other kind of Christian. Being an Anglican (“Episcopalian” in America) was not only my family’s denominational choice, but also the conscious decision I made as an adult.


The first of many factors for me were the matters of tradition and authority. As I understood the early church, tradition was important was an important part of the Christian faith along with the writings of the leaders of the Church during the first four centuries. That narrows me down somewhat to being either Anglican, Roman Catholic or Orthodox. I have to admit that I have always been a lover of formal liturgy and I would be uncomfortable worshipping every Sunday in a non-liturgical church. For example, while I admire the simplicity of the Quakers and Unitarians, along with the praise music found in many non-denominational churches today, it would be difficult for me to worship in that way on a regular basis.

I love to worship God through song and even dance. This could easily put me into a Vineyard or one of the Pentecostal churches.

But then I would have another problem, how could I live without the Eucharist on a regular basis? I know my love for the Lord’s Supper reflects the historical and traditional side of my faith. I have always tended to center my worship life in the Eucharist. Without regular reception of this sacrament, my faith life would seem empty.

I love the history of the early church and its doctrines, most which come well before the time of the Reformation. This attraction makes me, of course, Trinitarian, biblically-centered, and theologically orthodox. I do not struggle with the literal truth of the virgin birth of Jesus, his miracles, or resurrection. I believe essentially what the Church as a whole has believed at all times and places down through the ages. I am not perplexed by mystery, nor confused by miracles.

But I also have found that I have to worship in a church that respects my reason and a church that is willing to be informed by God’s continuing work in creation -- through science, medicine, philosophy, sociology and other modes learning in the world. I cannot leave my brain outside the church while I worship inside. My faith must be reasonable and compatible with the intelligence God gave me.

Now what kind of Christian would a person be who rejects central authority, love church history and liturgy (including incense!); who loves joyful worship, and values human reason? I would have to say that that person would be an Anglican; a church that has a tradition of staying together even when disagreements are present:

A church with deep catholic (universal) and historical roots.

A church deeply influenced and formed by the Reformation as well as the Age of Reason.

A church in which there is depth and breadth and does not force belief. (It is more important for newcomers first to belong, then, later, to come to believe as we do).

An historic church, yet not unable to change.

We once believed in one, unbroken Church, yet we changed and embraced the theology of the Reformers in the 16th century. We once believed only men could be members of the clergy; we now have women in all three historic orders of the church where they serve as deacons, priests and bishops (but not everywhere throughout our Communion. We once believed that a sinner had to go through a priest in order to be forgiven; we now believe this is between a believer and God.

So things we once thought important to faith, have now changed. We simply believe that if we are true and faithful to God, we, as a community of faith, will eventually find the truth.

Therefore, we are a church on a journey. During my years, I have often found out that some things are not quite so "black and white" as they first seemed to me – and if I seek to be the love that Jesus taught (patient and understanding), I have a good chance of finding the truth he taught. In the meantime, I try to live with questions that, for the present time, I may not have answers.

This is why I am an Anglican and I encourage you to go through the same spiritual process – why are you who you say you are with regard to your faith? Even as we do this we must remember one universal truth – we are all one in Christ!

And that means for those of us who call ourselves Christian -- that we are first followers of Jesus and, secondly, members of a particular Christian denomination!

No comments:

Post a Comment