Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Alone?

 

One of the great dilemmas (and challenges) of widowhood is having to live alone after enjoying the blessings of a lifetime of companionship. Like many men, I enjoy getting together with the guys. But getting together with a woman is another (and I will have to admit) more enjoyable experience — sorry guys! 

Sabine knew me well and knew me deeply. We talked about this. She said that if I died first, she would not be interested in partnering again. In fact, because of her cancer, she said she would simply stop treatment. But as for me, she knew that I needed the friendship of women. So here’s my thoughts on this dilemma as I surf the waves of grief which currently dominate my life.


some say

you

now must

learn to 

live 

alone

why I cry?   

why must I now

be alone?

should i not

seek a

companion 

the

presence of a 

woman? 

i have lived with

women

all my

life

and now

to be without 

this presence

(vive la difference) 

within 

my aging life

really?

are you serious? 

you impose death

to me

alone

if you 

cared for me

loved me

why would you deny

me this?

why would you?

why sentence me to

that solitary 

torturer? 

the executioner 

called

loneliness?

(Sotto voce:

would she 

who

deeply 

loved him 

without condition

wish 

this for for

him

or

see him

happy

companioned 

laughing once

again?

he may be old

not

dead

yet).



No comments:

Post a Comment