Monday, April 8, 2013

Why a Spiritual Practice?


From time to time, someone will ask me, “Why should I have a spiritual practice?” My first response may be a little startling, but I usually tell them that the reason is that it will help us when we die.

Being at the side of many who have died over the years has given me this insight. The more unprepared we are, the more unresolved issues we have in our life, the more difficult is our dying. 

Preparing for our death will also help us to live better lives as we journey on life's path. And aa spiritual practice puts us in touch with the Other, the Creator, the unseen spiritual world. In doing so, we begin the important work in our lives to live outside of ourselves and to control our egos and to realize that life is not all about us.

Now you can disregard any belief in things unseen. But in doing so, I believe we miss the mystery and blessings of a life spiritually connected with others and the universe itself. (Why do those electrons do what they do? And why can’t science explain everything?)

The other piece of living a more spiritual life is that I believe our lives will become better simply by trying to live better – more peacefully, less consuming, and with more compassion. This helps us to be a better friend and person.

For me personally, it goes back to the 1980s during my time in government. It was the time many companies were losing market-share and looked for a way out. For many of them (like the automobile industry) it was to focus on continuous improvement and long-term, total customer satisfaction. Isn’t that a good spiritual practice as well – “O holy One, help me to improve continuously”?

How does one begin? We begin by crafting a more compassionate, purposeful, less frenetic life step by step.

What is the one thing you can do today and continue to practice to make that happen?



No comments:

Post a Comment