Sunday, May 12, 2013

How Are You Making Peace?

Peacekeeping is a characteristic value of most of the world's enduring religions. So, how do we as spiritual persons, practice it?

We almost intuitively know that no of us can practice peacekeeping if we have anger and violence residing in our hearts. Peacekeeping begins from the inside out. When we begin to practice peacekeeping we first do the inside (heart) work -- the rest will follow.

But how is peacekeeping practiced -- especially in our interpersonal relations, with our spouses, children, friends, and co-workers? How can we help keep peace in those relationships and bring about a more peaceful society?

And then what's next? Do we not want to be involved in some larger effort to promote peace? When I first came to Madison (Wisc.) as their chief of police in the early 70s, I received a moving note from a very young boy. It simply said, "Please be our peace chief!" It deeply moved me and solidified the belief I had that police can help promote peace in our nation's cities.

The conflicts at the time in our nation's cities were glaringly obvious -- between young and old, black and white, student and non-student, liberals and conservatives, anti-war protesters and those who supported the war.

In Haiti with Sabine and son, Joshua Ezekiel in the late 90s.
After my retirement and entry into the clergy, I had opportunities to further my desire to be a wider peacemaker. After all, in the faith I represented, "blessed are the peacemakers" was one of our founder's guiding principles!

This led me to be part of two medical and construction missions to a small village in the mountains Haiti. And as a member of the International Committee for the Peace Council, I was part of peacekeeping missions to Cambodia where we called to the world's attention the continuing carnage of landmines. In Chiapas, Mexico, we facilitated discussions concerning the repression of local indigenous peoples. In South Africa, I experienced another life-changing event as a delegate to the 1999 World Parliament of Religions in Cape Town. This drawing-together of all the world's enduring religions drew over 7,000 people from 80 countries. That year, the focus was the AIDS epidemic.

While my international travels have diminished over the last five years, I have found purpose, sustenance and encouragement as a member of my local chapter (Chapter 25) of Veterans for Peace (VFP). Since 1985, VFP has worked to expose the true costs of war and militarism. As a military veteran, I believe I best continue to serve my country by being active in this effort -- especially today when a million or more of our young people (including my youngest daughter) have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. The true costs of our engagement in the Middle East will be born by future generations and they will be in a continuing need for our love and support. This has been our experience with Vietnam era veterans in terms of homelessness, suicide, addiction, and family violence. It will be no less so for our recent veterans. War mains both the conqueror and the conquered.

What are some of the things you are doing to help make the world more peaceful? When you work as a peacemaker, you are blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment