Thursday, October 7, 2010

Safely Home

Safely home!  Sabine picked me up at the airport in Madison and we drove home together.  I am not used to being away from her for so long.  Returning to the farm, I noticed the trees were beginning to put on their fall color.  It was a warm evening.  When I finally hit the sack, I slept the first time in over 24 hours.  It was delicious.  Waking up in the morning, walking our trails and discussing plans for Saturday put me in a most peaceful place.

Some of us had prayed that Matthew's memorial stone would be completed -- this morning I received a phone call that it was ready to pickup in Galena.  Thanks be to God!

The family now prepares for the next steps -- the healing steps -- the restoration that can be ours in the midst of all this pain and sorrow.

Other members of the family, Matt's eight brothers and sisters, and their children and other family members will start coming to the farm today and tomorrow in preparation for Saturday afternoon.  The weather looks good, 85 degrees predicted and sunshine.  The "peace that passes understanding" awaits us.

Going through family pictures of Matt this morning brought tears again.  I hadn't wept at all yesterday thinking, hmmm, for six days you weep and on the seventh you rest.  It is now, for me, the beginning of the second week -- six days of weeping and on the seventh I may rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment