Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The New Normal

 Many of Sabine’s children’s and friends have taken great comfort in being able to see, via my photo-essays, the giving and joyful life Sabine enjoyed even after receiving a terminal cancer diagnosis.

Reminiscing through more than a hundred posts during our 13-year struggle was comforting as well as healing. I also wrote a lot of poetry which was my way of both grieving and celebrating.

In the following two poems, I tried to capture life as a huge photo album of images and memories. The second poem addresses what we did so many times after setbacks, accidents, and the ups and down of a score of chemotherapies — we, together, set a “new normal.” And that is what I am in the process of doing now.

I remember 2008. It was scary, terror-filled year for us; the year cancer came for a visit and stayed. I didn't know if Sabine would still be with me by the end of the year. I wailed at God. I prayed. I received 13 more years to say goodbye. What a blessing!

PHOTOS

i often
think of our life together
like a immense photo album
but the early photos
are not
black and white
they are all techni-colored
animated
vibrating radiant
they flash and dash
like a documentary collage
through my mind
and now
as we age
the expectant colors slightly fade
i look for them
wanting them again
the flashing dancing radiance
instead i find myself
walking with you
along a path
it seems like late fall
the summer colors are gone
but instead
something is new again
peaceful and calm
we are filled with deeply
rich tones
tones of an old sepia print
and we look at each other
knowingly
and fearlessly.

[December 29, 2008 -- on the anniversary of our 27th year together]

________________

NEW NORMAL

new normal we
proclaim after 
each
and every
life change or disaster
it can be
cancer
a change in chemo
death of
a child
and yet
that new normal slowly,
predictably appears
at our front
door
and waits
expectantly for
the invitation
we know you
we say
you’re welcome
to take the
room
upstairs
you know
the one
comfortably
we settle
back
on our couch
together
watching
a movie
yet
in my mind
my deepest 
thoughts
he will no 
longer be
welcome
here
no longer be
given
the room
upstairs
no
no longer
welcome
after you
leave
me
and my
heart
ripped
out of
my 
chest
and the
movie we
were watching
ends.

(April, 2015)

More Healing Images













No comments:

Post a Comment