Thursday, January 28, 2021

Crisis

The Marriage Crisis 

in 40 years of marriage

the only interpersonal 

potentially break-up time 

happened when one day

after our morning run

(our usual route to mallot’s pharmacy 

up around the golf course)

when i 

announced

“i think God is calling me”

to which you replied

“don’t pickup the phone!”

it’s not that weren’t

spiritual

(as they say)

it’s just that weren’t 

religious

not church-goers

sundays were for

coffee and morning

buns in bed

new york times

sunday edition

we talked about

my retirement

her work

and (shudder)

seminary

but I was worriedI 

scared

would she leave me?

our decade

together?

so I did it

yes, I denied God

if I couldn’t have

both God and her

i choose her

but you 

in your wisdom

so loving 

understanding

said

“okay, you have to

say yes

but don’t expect me

to teach Sunday school

or pour coffee at the

women’s parish lunch!”

i promised

i would not ask this

we then took a cross-country 

train 

discernment weekend in

rochester new york

i vividly remember 

an exercise that weekend 

you wrote 

“support” on my 

back

and so who

found our first parish?

who taught sunday school

for 20 years?

who organized the women’s

lunch and lots of other 

church stuff?

you

you loved me so

you even came to love

God too.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment