Wednesday, January 6, 2021

You Are My Sunshine

Sabine is, and always will be, my sunshine...

In my grief, I don’t want to lose a most poignant and touching night the day before she died. 

It was the day she asked me if she stopped treatment what would think. I immediately burst into tears, Yet I assured her I would be with her and keep my promise not to take her to the hospital.

That night, I suddenly awoke with the melody and lyrics of that old country tune, “You Are My Sunshine.” I hummed it to myself. But in the morning, and through the day, I kept singing it.

The next night, approaching Christmas Eve and her death, I kept singing it off and on. After coffe-time, I asked her if she heard me sing during the night. She gave me “the look” and said, “I did, David, but I just wanted quiet...” Which prompted me to say, “Yes, but you will always be my sunshine!” Yes!


“You Are My Sunshine” by Kina Grannis

No comments:

Post a Comment