Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Weaning My Eyes

As I stumble along this path called "Life without Sabine," I find that I am weeping less and beginning to find joy in that wonderful, awesome life I lived with her -- thinking less about how sad I am and more towards the gratitude I feel for those forty years of finding a growing love together and, yes, our adventures! The crazy days of passion and self-abandonment, buying our wooded property, finding and raising children, pursuing separate, yet connected, careers, stumbling into God and ministry, serving two wonderful parishes, the cancer, the friends... the loss.

I continue to be bolstered up by two songs ("You Are My Sunshine" and John Denver's "Annie's Song") along with this poem from the late John O'Donohue...


Gradually, you will learn acquaintance

With the invisible form of your departed;

And when the work of grief is done,

The wound of loss will heal

And you will have learned

To wean your eyes

From that gap in the air

And be able to enter the hearth

In your soul where your loved one

Has awaited your return

All the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment