Friday, February 12, 2021

A Realization

Early this morning, I came across these lines from the famous Austrian poet Rainer Maria Rilke (1875-1926). For those of us who mourn, these words could become a call for us, a call to realize not the pain and loneliness that lie ahead, but a great opportunity to realize that “enormous space is near;” and we are asked to step out from the house we know so well.

“Whoever you are: some evening take a step
out of your house, which you know so well.
Enormous space is near.”

-Excerpt from “The Way In.” 


I am sensing a slow turning inside me. Yesterday, my trusty canine companion and I took a drive around the familiar places Sabine and I walked and rode our bikes. Familiar together-places. As I did so, wonderful, loving memories emerged of our long life together and the precious times, travels and events we shared over the past 40 years. It was a peaceful panorama that rolled through my thoughts. I felt lifted up once again. 

When I returned home, filled with wonder and gratefulness, I knew our life could not have gone on like this forever, but that’s what I had unrealistically hoped for. I know that Sabine has died, but I also know that this love I have for her will always be with me. And, one day, I will be okay with accepting what happened and living s life that will always cherish my memories of her.



1 comment: